Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Welcome!

Hello Students! 

This is our class blog for Intercultural Communications at the Instituto de Idiomas at la Universidad del Norte in Barranquilla, Colombia. This blog is a collaborative discussion space, and an extension of the classroom. You´re encouraged to reflect in more depth, in writing, on themes touched upon in class. With our class blog, you´ll write for a real audience that, apart from the teacher, will include your peers, students from other classes, and potentially anyone with access to the Internet. Our class blog will help foster a feeling of community between the members of this class. Also, a blog is a good way to earn participation points even if you´re normally too shy to talk in class. Completing a blog assignment counts towards your homework and participation grade. This blog will be the "mother" blog for the class where all blog writing prompts will be posted for students. Each student will have his/her own unique blog where he/she will respond to the initial post made by the teacher. Your blogs will be linked to this blog and listed in a separate post.
 

Practice Blog

Now that you've created your blog in class, let's practice posting by introducing yourself. Tell us your name, major, hobbies, and something about yourself that helps to define your own personal culture. For example:

Hi! I'm Kendra Staley, the instructor of Intercultural Communications. I'm from Ellsworth, Kansas, a small town in the middle of the United States. I moved  to Barranquilla with my husband Rob, another English teacher at UniNorte. We recently got married in May 2012 and celebrated our honeymoon in Cartagena. Colombia is the fourth country that I've lived in. I studied French in Aix-en-Provence, France and Spanish in Coban, Guatemala. I taught English in Malang, Indonesia and Wuhan, China. I love to travel (obviously!), cook, eat, read, dance, and do yoga. Check out my Yoga Blog at kendralini.blogspot.com/  Doing yoga has influenced my own personal culture as it helps me to remain calm and relaxed while building my strength and flexibility.

Post your blog website in the comments section below.

Practice Comments

After you introduce yourself, make a comment on two of your classmates' blogs. 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. teacher,is so interesting what u said abou yoga, i have heard a lot about it and people say it teahcs how how to keep ur avarage and control of ur body and mind, we should definitively talk about it in class, would be funny, i also love traveling, i consider that is the biggest knwolegde that we could ever have, hope u are ok. byebye

      Delete
  2. My name is Daniela, from the class of 12:30 and I really like your description and how you talk about the different journeys you've had. It's so interesting and cool! This is my blog, so you can go to visit :) http://danielleksj.blogspot.com/ Bye!

    ReplyDelete